Chris and I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Ft Lauderdale last month. Work was paying for Chris and I tagged along and we had the most amazing vacation since New York seven years ago. We spent time on the beach, ate out at really nice places and got to go sport fishing. It was sea turtle nesting season so there were all these nest sites marked out on the beach. We went out to the beach one night hoping to see either a momma sea turtle coming to shore or a nest of babies hatching. We saw neither. But we enjoyed our late night beach stroll. When we went sport fishing, the dock was really slow so we got a great deal - or at least that's what the guy told us - on our fishing trip. There was no one else wanting to go so Chris and I had the boat and two man crew to ourselves. It was an awesome fishing trip. I didn't have to bait any hooks or touch any fish. It was quite exciting to reel in the fish. Of course our camera had a dead battery that day so we bought a disposable camera at the dock lest we be accused of telling fish stories about our catches. Here's a few pictures from our trip. Most of the other pictures are on the home network which I'm not sure how to access yet. I wasn't paying that close of attention when Chris explained it to me. Oops - my bad.

I don't think we could support our family with our skills as fishermen, but it was a lot of fun!

This was taken in Key Largo.
Someone told Chris that Ft Lauderdale was only an hour away from the Keys. Boy did we get lied to on that one. It's two hours from Ft Lauderdale to Key Largo and then another two hours from there to Key West. It's a beautiful drive but we were expecting sandy beaches and it's not sandy beaches at all. It's jungle islands with the jungle practically growing right out of the ocean. It was really late and with less than 20 miles to Key West we had to turn back. It was our last night there and we still needed to pack to catch our morning flight home. It was a lovely drive but had we known what it was, we wouldnt've done it.
Oh and about the humidity - holy cow. It felt like someone threw a hot wet blanket over you every time you stepped out the door. My sunglasses would immediately fog up - even if I didn't have them on.
This was the perfect vacation for us. Chris had his convention thing that he had to go to and so I had loads of time to sleep in and read to my hearts content. It was lovely!! My only goal every day was to be out of bed and decently dressed before housekeeping showed up. I got to meet some of the people Chris works with and one of them brought his wife too. We had lots of fun hanging out and I hope to see them again soon.
2 comments:
so jealous! I didn't love Florida, but maybe it was because it was so much like AZ but humid. It could have had something to do with driving for 11 day, I don't know. Glad you got to get away, we all need that.
That sounds amazing!!!! I've never been to FL but I do remember the humidity from NJ and hated it. What was funny to me was that people who grew up with humidity preferred it to the dry heat of the west. Crazy. My cereal was soggy by the 3rd day after opening it.
Glad you got such a wonderful vacation!
Post a Comment