While blog surfing the other night I came across this little gem of a blog. It's a blog all about crockpot cooking. How cool is that. But wait, it gets better. She had a post all about how to make yogurt in your crockpot. So easy!! I tried it out last night and it worked fabulously. Let's do a little math, shall we? I typically buy yogurt in the half gallon tub because that's the only brand that sells a plain whole milk yogurt. Costs me $4.99 per tub. Milk costs on average $2 per gallon. Making my own yogurt will cost $2 per gallon plus buying starter for the first batch (after the first batch you keep using your homemade yogurt as starter). I'm saving $8 per gallon of yogurt. Now when my kids ask if they can have yogurt, there is no hesitation on my part.
This blog looks awesome too. I found it tonight while looking for a way to make my own cultured buttermilk. I like to use buttermilk in a lot of my cooking.
I also found lots of websites telling how to make cultured sour cream or creme fraiche. According to FoodNetwork TV show hosts, creme fraiche is far superior to sour cream. According to all the websites I found, they're exactly the same thing. I don't really care what it's called so long as it's tangy and creamy and thick. Here's what I did, I put 1 cup of heavy cream into a pint jar. Added two tablespoons yogurt (most websites called for buttermilk - I'll try that next time and compare). Put on the lid and shook well to mix. Let it sit out for about 8 hours. It was all thick and looked like sour cream to me. So excited. I don't like sour cream with additives.
Now all I need is a cow...
Of course I couldn't taste any of my creations. I'm in the middle of an hCG round, hopefully my last round. I've lost just over 40 pounds so far. Yes, thank you, I'm rather excited about my much smaller backside. I have about three more weeks to go before I can taste any of these things - oh well. My kids are really enjoying them so they must not be that bad.
One more project of mine lately - sourdough bread. A friend of mine makes the most divine whole wheat sourdough bread. It's so yummy. She shared some of her starter with me today. I'm so excited to make bread without yeast. :-) I will keep you all posted on how the bread turns out.
3 comments:
Wow! Super impressive! Cooking is one of those things that is not even remotely interesting to me. I love watching the food channel and I certainly enjoy eating but I have no talent when it comes to making it!
How long does starter last? Does it just sit there on the counter or is it refrigerated?
Erin, the starter she gave me was a little dormant, so it needs to sit out for about three days before it will be ready. I also have to feed it every day. I'll know when it's ready because it will have a lot of foam on the top. According to my friend, the starter will last indefinitely. The only way to kill it is to leave it out on the counter for too long.
That blog is amazing. I even tried making the yogurt. It turned out great! I seriously can't believe how easy it is to make! John mixed some with eggnog and honey and had eggnog yogurt. It was actually pretty tasty! Strawberry, banana was good too.
Post a Comment