Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I think we now are officially rednecks...

Yesterday afternoon saw a lot of action. Chris got to use his rifle on an actual moving target. Derrick found a rattle snake in the barn. It was a small one but it was definitely a rattler. The neighbors had a few extra kids for the day and they came over to tell us about the snake. My neighbor didn't know that Chris was home yesterday so she called the fire department to come take care of the snake. The kids found one out there four or five days earlier but by the time the fire department showed up, the snake was gone. Chris didn't want the snake to get away waiting for the fire department so he got out his 22 and went to take care of business. As he's getting the gun out and getting it loaded and taking the trigger lock off of it we realize that it sure takes a long time to get it ready to fire. It's a good thing we don't actually need it for protection. Back to the snake. Chris went out there and shot the snake four times. It still wasn't dead so one of the neighbor boys went to find a shovel to cut its head off. Chris went inside to put his gun away and while he was there he sees that Derrick is at the door talking to a fireman. The neighbor always gives our address to people who are coming because we have house numbers and she doesn't. So the firemen come to our house and there's no adults here. Derrick is having quite the conversation with them I guess. The fireman told Chris he wishes he could have videotaped the conversation with Derrick because it was so funny. That leaves Chris and I really wondering what little DerrDerr told the fireman. He won't tell us what he said, he just keeps saying that he wants to go to the fire station and talk to the other firefighter. Anyways, back to the bunnies. The rattlesnake had bitten two of the rabbits, so they needed to be disposed of. Then since Chris was home and the gun was already out, our neighbor asked if Chris would help her boys kill a few of the rabbits since they had too many. Chris let three of the boys kill a rabbit each and he almost got shot himself. I don't think he's going to let those same boys shoot a rabbit again. Bradley was one of the lucky ones who got to use the gun and he told our neighbor that he wanted to have the rabbit after it was cleaned. So we put it in the crockpot and today the kids are eating rabbit for lunch. I tasted it. It's not quite like chicken, but it's not too far off of it either. I think with BBQ sauce you'd never know what it was. So there you have it, I and my children are now rabbit eating rednecks.

Derrick is getting into this eating animals thing a little too much. He just came in and asked if we were going to eat our kitties when they get bigger. I told him no, we don't eat kitties. He said, "well, some people do." Um...we do not.

He also just tried to cut off his own eyelashes with the scissors.

Goal for the day - toy downsizing/decluttering.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, glad everybody is Ok. Well, except for a few rabbits!

laurie said...

I wish I lived at your house! I always wondered about rabbits. Glade and I were running one day and noticed how many rabbits were out there and commented on this being a food source in desperate times. Glad to know I just need to stock up on some good BBQ sauce!