A couple days ago, when I picked Bradley up from cub scouts, he says that his friend is coming to spend the night. I explained that that is something he has to get permission for. I must not have explained well enough because the next day after school he says his friend is coming to spend the night. I again explain that he needs permission to do that. I called the other mom and it turns out that Bradley's friend is sick anyways. So the next day, Dana comes running in to tell me that the hide-a-bed is ready. I ask her what it's ready for? And she says for Bradley's friend to spend the night. All this time, no permission for the sleepover has been granted. I again explain to Bradley that unless mom or dad specifically say that it's ok for so-n-so to spend the night, that it's not going to happen. His friend was still sick anyways, so it wasn't going to happen permission or not this weekend. I think Bradley understands now how it all works and maybe he'll get to have that sleepover soon.
It's just so funny sometimes how we think we've explained it clearly. We ask do you understand? They answer yes. And we assume that means they understand. We've realized that we have to then follow that question with asking them if they understand the specific words we've just used. Half the time they don't understand the words, yet, they've just claimed to understand the whole sentence. For example, the other night at dinner we had some pork chops that were quite yummy. As I was getting the last bit of meat off of the bones, I asked the kids "Are you allowed to gnaw on the bones if we're at a restaurant?"
In unison, "No."
I ask, "What about at someone else's house?"
Again, "No."
I then think about it for a moment, and realize they probably don't know what the word gnaw means. So I ask them, "Do you know what it means to gnaw on something?"
"No."
Good thing they know not to do it, now if they just knew what it was. But do they ask? No.
5 comments:
I'm so happy for Bradley.
I'm so glad that Bradley has a new friend. That's fantastic. The rest of your post was cracking me up. So true!
Too cute. I love the gnawing part. I would venture to say that a lot of what we say isn't really understood. So happy life is settling down for your family. Good for Bradly.
Yeah for Bradley! A new friend is so important when you move to a new place!
Hooray for new friends!
Post a Comment