Friday, May 22, 2009

First day of summer

So here we are, the first day of summer. I have a flu. I think that's just bad timing. I mean really, we should be out having fun today. The weather is gorgeous!! It's 66 degrees outside for heavens sake. Instead, we're inside and the kids are glued to the TV. This is not how our summer is going to be. I'm really looking forward to this summer. I think the kids and I are going to have a lot of fun. I'm not pregnant or nursing. Derrick is old enough to understand that he can't just wander off. He's getting really good about staying by me when we're out. And now that he's a little older, we don't need the massive diaper bag full of half of the house every time we go anywhere. It's really nice. I need to plan out some outings for me and kids to do while Chris is at work and plan out small trips for the weekends. As soon as Mayo Clinic calls/mails me the appointment information, then I can plan our big vacation this summer. Summer is gonna be great - as soon as I'm over this flu. 

Speaking of the flu, when I was a kid it seemed that the flu was no big deal. I remember people saying they were sick but it's "just a flu." Now it seems that the flu is equal to cancer. It's all over the news. They act like it's going to wipe out human civilization. They vaccinate for it like it was Polio or something. I've never believed that flu shots were necessary. Maybe for that small portion of the population with weakened immune systems such as the elderly, it MIGHT help. But I think the flu vaccine is part of the reason why there are new flus that make people sicker (and by sicker, I do not mean that it will wipe out human civilization - just make people feel crappier). I believe that it speeds up the mutation process for the virus. Couldn't medical researchers spend their precious time and money researching diseases that are truly devastating to families? Why spend so much time and money researching a runny nose and achy body when there are diseases with 100% mortality rates, or diseases that severely affect the quality of life. The only reason I can come up with is that it's money. Which is really sad!! I will now step off my soapbox.

So I feel crappy today. I have a slight fever, but it doesn't take much of a fever to feel sick. However when I feel sick, the fact that I have a slight fever almost makes me feel better. I feel justified that it's not "all in my head." 

I got up this morning to a really messy kitchen. I'm not much a housekeeper. I have a hard time noticing when things need to be cleaned, unless they're really bad. And then when they're really bad, I really don't want to do it. I don't get bit by the cleaning bug very often. It bit me this morning though, which is really surprising being that I'm sick. I got the kitchen totally clean and dishes done and swept the floor. I would've mopped the floor but I have no bucket. The night before Mother's Day, Chris was cleaning up a mess and the bucket broke. He didn't break it. It was a faulty bucket (which I had purchased only a week earlier). He jokingly asked if I wanted a new mop bucket for Mother's Day. I laughed and said no. Now I'm thinking maybe I should've asked for that bucket. I forgot to get one the couple of times that I was at the store since then and this past week, Emma and Derrick have both been sick and I have not been to the store at all. We haven't had milk for about four days now. I keep thinking I'll go to the store when Chris gets home from work, but he's worked late a few nights, had a meeting another night, and then there was still lots to do when he did finally get home. He's coming home early today to make up for working late those two nights. Woohoo - I love it when comes home early. I might still be in my jammies at that point today. So since there was no mop bucket, the cleaning bug went away as fast as it came. I think I'll read my book club book today. 

3 comments:

Becky said...

what kind of activities are you going to do this summer? Did you hear that Layne has an interview with pima schools next week?

Erin A said...

Sick again? I'm so sorry! What book are you reading for book club?

A chore that I detest....scrubbing the shower!

I think the swine flu was completely blown up by the media--a possible way to draw attention away from all the dumb stuff the Obama admin was doing.

But I do think that a flu as serious as the spanish flu in 1918 will happen again. Hopefully not in our lifetime, but its only a matter of time...

On a happier note, we are looking for summer activities too. Let me know if you venture up north for any expeditions. We'd love to join you!

laurie said...

Hope you get to feeling better, you have had way more than your share of sickness in your family. I have a steam mopper and I LOVE it! No buckets for me. I will just give a big AMEN for your speech on the flu.